He fled Syria for Baltimore, finding friends and a job in his new home. Someone gunned him down as he delivered pizza.
Khaled Heeba fled the most dangerous place on earth in 2016, escaping Syria’s civil war with his parents to come to the United States for a better life. He settled in Baltimore.
He went to work delivering pizzas full time to help support himself and his parents, his co-workers and a family friend said.
Heeba’s American journey ended less than two weeks ago when someone gunned him down in broad daylight in Harlem Park — less than five minutes from the pizza shop where he’d worked since he got to Baltimore. The 31-year-old man was found in the 1300 block of W. Franklin St. around 1:15 p.m. Feb. 7 suffering from gunshot wounds to the chest. He died after being transported to a nearby hospital, police said.
I don’t know how I could have missed this dreadful murder case!
The crime happened in 2018, but on Friday Richard Segabiro, a refugee from the Congo who has been in the US since 2005, was sentenced to spend what really amounts to the rest of his life behind bars being taken care of with your tax dollars.
Your tax dollars also paid to bring him here almost 15 years ago, and will likely now help support his family in Connecticut. So much for robust screening and for the idea that refugees benefit America.
The sentencing, which happened on Friday, was delayed last month when it was revealed in court that the teen victim’s mother was still alive in the Congo which begs the question, how much investigating went on back in Africa before the whole bunch was admitted to the US?
Segabiro’s attorney had argued that he suffered from PTSD from his years in wartorn Congo. (Mental health care needed for refugees, something rarely discussed!)
Conn. Man Sentenced to 45 Years for Killing Teen Niece
Read it yourself.
Here is the story from last month about how the sentencing had been delayed. From the Connecticut Post:
Convicted killer’s sentencing halted after claim victim’s mother may be alive
BRIDGEPORT — A convicted killer facing nearly half a century behind bars got a sentencing stay Friday after the sudden announcement that the mother of the young murder victim, once believed dead, may in fact be alive and hiding in the jungles of Congo.
“I am very cautious that I should not go forward (with the sentencing) because of the possibility the mother is alive,” said Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander. “I would like the opportunity to give the mother a chance to make an impact statement.”
Richard Segabiro is facing 45 years in prison for butchering his 15-year-old niece, Francine Nyanzaninka, with a multi-tool in the bathroom of their Fairfield Avenue apartment in February 2018.
Segabiro, his lawyer, Public Defender Joseph Bruckmann, and state prosecutors had all believed the girl’s mother had been killed along with the rest of her immediate family by Congolese rebels.
But as the sentencing hearing began, Segabiro’s wife suddenly stood up in the back of the courtroom and called out in her native Swahili that not only was the girl’s mother alive but she had spoken to her by telephone.
A Swahili interpreter told the judge Segabiro’s wife told him she had located Nyanzaninka’s mother, her sister, in the Congo and briefly spoke to her on the phone. She said the call was brief because of the isolated location but she intended to call her again to get her opinion about the sentencing.
They have been here for 15 years and still can’t speak English? CT taxpayers are paying for the interpreter!
BRIDGEPORT — Standing on his porch, soaked in his teenaged niece’s blood, Richard Segabiro told police he stabbed the girl to death because he has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome as a result of his escape from war-torn Congo. [Sounds like he had his excuse ready!—ed]
But an autopsy showed the 15-year-old girl had been sexually assaulted by Segabiro. [Was it the first time? Or, is it possible she finally stood up to him?—ed]
“The state would not be able to prove whether that occurred post mortem or prior to the murder,” Senior Assistant State’s Attorney David Applegate said in court Wednesday.
Segabiro had fled tribal violence in the Congo with his wife, three young children and his niece, Francine Nyanzanika in 2005, settling in a second-floor apartment on Fairfield Avenue here with the help of a refugee agency. [The media never names the refugee agency, but here are eight listed in CT–—ed]
Shortly after 11 p.m. on Feb. 19, 2018, 911 operators received a call from Segabiro that he had just killed someone.
Police said when they arrived at the home, they found Segabiro standing on the porch, covered in blood. They said he told them he had just killed his daughter because he had PTSD and believed she was trying to poison him.
Applegate said police found the girl lying in a pool of blood on the bathroom floor. He said she had killed by a sharp object and nearly decapitated.
By the way, these are apparently ‘Christian’ refugees so the next time you say we should bring only Christian refugees to the US, think about this case.
So I figured it was time to see how the big kahuna of the US refugee industry, the International Rescue Committeewas doing under the Trump administration especially since they are among the chief wailers and moaners about the low refugee admission numbers that they say has led to a need to close some of their subcontractor offices and let some low level staffers go (hint! It looks like the big honchos are still in a job).
Using data from USASpending.govI’ve now had a look at five of the nine federal resettlement contractors. The IRC will be number six.
They sure jumped on the federal gravy train in the last couple years of the Obama Administration and are still riding it for all it is worth!
Next I went over to Charity Navigator where they always provide these handy little pie charts to tell us what percentage of their income you contributed (involuntarily) via the US Treasury—a hefty 60%!
But, wait, notice they say over $422 million is government boodle.
Okay, so thought I might solve the mysterious discrepancy by visiting their annual reports.
And, too funny, see who is co-chairman of the board!
Remember Obama’s Treasury Secretary who couldn’t get his taxes done correctly! Turbo-tax Geithner himself!
Yikes, now Geithner’s annual reportshows $544 million from grants and contracts for the same year. That would be taxpayer funding.
Here is page nine of the Form 990 for the same recent year:
And, definitely these numbers do not match USA Spendingnumbers. I’m guessing that the IRC is getting funding from other governments around the world other than ours.
Alas, there is no taxpayer group working for us that might have the skill to unravel all of this!
However, here is one thing that is not a mystery—doing ‘charitable’ good works is lucrative business as I said in a post at ‘Frauds and Crooks’ this week: Tell your kids to grow up to be non-profit execs!
Just have a look at the salaries at the top of the International Rescue Committee!
Warning! Don’t look if you have high blood pressure or a heart condition!
That is largely your money! See page ten! Over $300 million for salaries and benefits! And, travel alone was $40 million! Does Miliband travel first class (or private jet!)?
And, now they are making sure illegals scheduled for deportation in Dallas (where else?) have a lawyer.
I wonder, if one of those illegals they defend commits a crime, could the IRC fat cats be sued? Hmmm!
As the Trump Administration slows the flow of refugees into the US, the refugee contractors including the mack daddy of the whole bunch—the International Rescue Committee––is now going to provide lawyers for migrants who are scheduled for deportation as a way of expanding its financial base and its influence.
I’ve been telling readers for a long time that the nine refugee contractors working for the US State Department do not just place refugees and supposedly care for them, but are involved in all open borders issues, legal and illegal in the US and around the world. This story is more proof of that!
Deportation defense fund for immigrants is about to launch in the city of Dallas
The International Rescue Committee in Dallas, an agency that’s resettled refugees for decades in North Texas, is expanding its services to immigrants caught up in deportation proceedings.
The IRC will administer $200,000 in grants from the City of Dallas and the Vera Institute of Justice, a New York-based nonprofit, for an attorney and other staffing.
The IRC is now in “turbo mode” due to sweeping changes in national immigration, asylum and refugee policies, said Suzy Cop, the executive director of the Dallas IRC office. “There’s a huge waitlist to get legal representation. It’s great that the city finds this so important.”
The new fund is a first for Dallas and was recommended by an immigration task force advising the city’s Office of Welcoming Communities and Immigrant Affairs.
The Vera Institute has been administering such private-public programs for immigrants since 2013. It began in New York City and spread to such cities as Austin, San Antonio, Sacramento, Santa Ana and Chicago.
For years, the IRC has assisted individuals who obtain permanent residency after one year as a refugee, and then with their U.S. citizenship process. They have assisted refugees with U.S. legal status who petition for family members living abroad. It also runs anti-human trafficking programs.
The local IRC provides mental health services. It also now assists immigrants with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA. And it runs an economic development program that prepares clients, refugees to immigrants, for jobs.
The IRC has steadily expanded its services beyond refugee resettlement just as the administration of President Donald Trump has scaled back refugee admissions. Refugee admissions were cut to 18,000 last September, down from a ceiling of 110,000 when President Obama left office in January of 2017.
Iraqi Immigrant’s Friends Fear She Was ‘Honor Killed’ By Accused Ex-Husband
Ibtihal Darraji’s body, which was so scorched authorities had difficulty identifying her, was found in her flaming car in Spokane last week.
A Washington man is accused of strangling his ex-wife and setting her body on fire, in what the woman’s friends’ suspect may have been an “honor killing.”
Yasir Darraji, 30, is facing murder charges in the suspicious death of his ex-wife, Ibtihal Darraji, who was found in a burning car in Spokane on Thursday night, according to KHQ-TV.
As firefighters began extinguishing a blazing vehicle found in a parking lot in Spokane’s City Park neighborhood late last week, they discovered Ibtihal Darraji’s body in the wreckage, a police spokesperson told Oxygen.com. The 29-year-old woman’s remains were so badly charred, detectives weren’t immediately able to identify her. She had allegedly been choked and drenched in some type of fire accelerant, investigators said.
Friends of the dead woman, however, told police about the former couple’s contentious relationship and bitter divorce, claiming that Darraji was a control freak who was long-enraged by his wife’s perceived promiscuous Western lifestyle and had previously threatened to kill her.
Prior to her death, Ibtihal allegedly told co-workers she feared for her life, KHQ-TV reported. One witness told authorities that Yasir was furious his former spouse was dating and “going to night clubs.” He allegedly demanded she return to their native Iraq — or he would murder her, friends said.