If you have been following immigration issues in recent years, you’ve certainly become aware of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio who uses unorthodox methods to manage prisoners including illegal aliens in his charge. He is perhaps most famous for requiring male prisoners to wear pink underwear.
A campaign orchestrated by leftwing open borders groups is now underway to oust Arpaio by bringing a Justice Department investigation against him. I told you about that here a couple of weeks ago.
This is another example of Saul Alinsky’s Rule 13, the same strategy that Obama, a devoted student of the Alinsky school of political warfare, attempted to use (unsuccessfully) against Rush Limbaugh in January (here). Simply stated in Alinsky’s strategy to destabilize communities one picks a target, freezes it, personalizes (demonizes) it and thus polarizes it. It is a method to separate this particular person from his or her supporters. Here is what I said (quoting Alinsky) in January of the attempt on Limbaugh:
Now, here are some more things to remember from Alinsky’s Rule 13 from “Rules for Radicals:”
* In conflict tactics there are certain rules that the organizer should always regard as universalities. One is that the opposition must be singled out as the target and “frozen.”
* Obviously there is no point to tactics unless one has a target upon which to center the attacks. [Alinsky makes it very clear here, that for instance you can’t attack something broad like ‘conservatives’, one must focus the attacks on a person.]
* Let nothing get you off your target.
* It should be borne in mind that the target is always trying to shift responsibility to get out of being the target. [Good luck with that when you’ve taken on Limbaugh, he will relish being the target!]
* With this focus comes a polarization. As we have indicated before, all issues must be polarized if action is to follow. [He then discusses how the person, the target, must be the personification of evil. One cannot effectively defeat the other side if people believe that person has some good qualities.]
Yesterday’s demonstration against Arpaio in Phoenix is Alinsky Rule 13 at work.
PHOENIX — Tensions rose between two large groups of protesters in downtown Phoenix on Saturday afternoon.
At issue, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s stand on immigration and his policy to detain undocumented immigrants.
A group of about 1,000 people turned out to march from Steele Indian School Park, along Central Avenue to protest Arpaio’s practices.
Best counter-strategy for Arpaio is the same as Rush Limbaugh used—-Alinsky Rule #5—-laugh yourself silly over their so obvious tactics.
Who could we do this to? Off the top of my head, maybe George Soros. Wouldn’t that be fun!