We’ve seen mention of this over the last few days, but, hey, if the New York Times is reporting it, it must be true. Well, maybe, maybe not. But, here is what the NYT said yesterday.
NAIROBI, Kenya — A Somali Web site is claiming that one of the suicide bombers who attacked an African Union base last week in Somalia was from the United States, which, if true, would make him the second known American to carry out a suicide attack.
According to Dayniile.com, a mostly Somali-language Web site, the bomber lived in Washington State until 2007, when he left the United States to join the Shabab, a terrorist group with growing ties to Al Qaeda. Several suicide bombers penetrated an African Union base in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital, Sept. 17, killing more than 15 peacekeepers, including the second in command of the 5,000-strong African Union mission in Somalia.
The bombers used United Nations trucks to slip into the base; they apparently had inside information because they struck precisely at a time when high-ranking Somali officials were meeting with African Union commanders to plan an offensive. Some witnesses said the bombers spoke English.
The Shabab took responsibility for the attack. But on Thursday, Shabab officials, when asked about the possible Somali-American connection, said they would not reveal the bombers’ identities.
At least 20 former Somali refugees have left the US and the good life to fight for Allah in Africa. If this bomber is one of them he would make the 7th American jihadist to die in Somalia (so far!). See this post in which I had been keeping track of all of the stories on the Somali missing youth case since last November. Sorry I haven’t kept it up since July, but one of these days I’ll get it updated. Frankly, I was getting sick of the story!