Who arranged for Karnamaya Mongar to get an abortion?

Bhutanese refugee Karnamaya Mongar and her husband.
Photo: AP

Karnamaya Mongar was a married Bhutanese refugee resettled in Virginia who happened to ‘find her way’ to an abortion doctor in Philadelphia.   She died there.  Surely, someone in the refugee resettlement “community” had to facilitate that trip.  Who?

Yesterday the trial began for a barbaric abortion doctor in Philadelphia charged in her death along with the deaths of babies born alive.  He snipped their spines.

Below is the story at the Daily Mail.  I told you about it here in 2011 when we learned she had only been here for four months, did not speak English, and would thus have been still in the care (well, sort of!) of “church” resettlement agencies.

I’m guessing Catholic Charities (Virginia!) wouldn’t have been involved this time because in 2008 they were criticized for helping another immigrant in their care, a 16-year-old girl, get an abortion.  Presumably they had learned their lesson.

The Daily Mail:

An abortion doctor who performed ‘barbaric’ abortions at his medical centre will go on trial today over eight deaths including a pregnant refugee and seven viable newborns.

Dr Kermit Gosnell, 72, the clinic owner, could face the death penalty over charges he killed 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar and seven viable newborns at a West Philadelphia clinic in Pennsylvania. He also faces a separate federal trial on prescription drug charges.

Gosnell, who has pleaded not guilty, saw himself as a medical missionary in the blighted neighbourhood where he worked and lived for 40 years. His Women’s Medical Center treated the poor, immigrants, teens and women with late-stage pregnancies who could not get abortions elsewhere.

But some of those patients were left with infections, perforated bowels and other injuries after barbaric abortions were performed by untrained, unlicensed staff, according to numerous lawsuits and a lengthy 2011 grand jury report.


In 2009 Ms Mongar also lost her life at the centre.


Ms Mongar’s family has a civil suit pending over her death. The woman from Bhutan – who did not speak English – died after allegedly receiving lethal doses of sedatives and painkillers from Gosnell’s untrained workers.

She and her husband and three children had survived 20 years in refugee camps before settling in rural Virginia. She was referred to Gosnell’s clinic to seek a second-term abortion.

Medical technician Sherry West, during her plea to third-degree murder and other charges, admitted she may have administered drugs to Ms Mongar while Gosnell was off-site.

The wholesale movement of tens of thousands of Bhutanese/Nepalese refugees began in 2007, here.  They have had a rough time and have the highest suicide rate of any group of refugees we have resettled.  Culture shock perhaps?

Spread the love

Leave a Reply