This is just a quick commentary.
My alerts are filled with news stories about revelations last week and the week before that the Obama Administration is planning on bringing Syrian Muslim refugees to the US this year and in future years and everyone is shocked at the number being discussed—2,000.
Don’t get me wrong, I am glad the media is now paying attention.
But, remember, up until December of last year the State Department was predicting that they would bring in 9,000-10,000 this year. (See our Syrian refugees archive by clicking here)
Remember also that it is the refugee resettlement contractors*** and the UN lobbying us to bring in 15,000 a year! See one of many stories on the subject here as the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society leads the charge. Not to appear to be picking on HIAS—the US Conference of Catholic Bishops and the Lutherans testified in Congress last year that they wanted the US to take 12,000-15,000 Syrians a year starting last year!
And, finally, why isn’t the same media paying attention to the fact that we brought in 20,000 Iraqis (three quarters are Muslim Iraqis) last year alone and 9,000 Somalis last year alone?
Come on media! Where have you been?
***Update*** Here is one more of many stories on the media figuring out that the Syrians are coming!
***The federal refugee resettlement contractors:
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC)
- Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM)
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS)
- International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI)
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services (LIRS)
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
- World Relief Corporation (WR)