He says that Sharia law is the reason we have a refugee tradition today! Thanks to a reader who spotted this story at Gates of Vienna yesterday. Robert Spencer has more here at Jihad Watch.
How dare the UN perpetuate this myth. We have pointed out many times how Muslim countries refuse refugees and abuse, even murder, the ones they have (I’ll remind you below). And, if you don’t believe me, ask the US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) that lists at least four Muslim countries in its 2009 Refugee Survey that presently are among the worst nations on earth for refugees.
From Adnkronos International:
New York, 23 June (AKI) – The 1,400-year-old Islamic custom of welcoming people fleeing persecution has had more influence on modern international refugee law than any other traditional source, according to a new study sponsored by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
High Commissioner Antonio Guterres said that more than any other historical source, Islamic law and tradition underpin the modern-day legal framework on which UNHCR bases its global activities on behalf of the tens of millions of people forced from their homes around the world.
This includes the right of everyone to seek asylum as well as prohibitions against sending those needing protection back into danger, Guterres said in the foreword to “The Right to Asylum between Islamic Sharia and International Refugee Law: A Comparative Study.”
In the study, Professor Abu Al-Wafa, Dean of the Law Faculty at Cairo University, describes how Islamic law and tradition respects refugees, including non-Muslims; forbids forcing them to change their beliefs; avoids compromising their rights; seeks to reunite families; and guarantees the protection of their lives and property.
This makes me spitting mad! Let’ s see how decent Muslim countries are to refugees.
* No Muslim country is willing to take in the Palestinians from Gaza.
* No Muslim country is willing to take the Iraqi Palestinians trapped at the border of Iraq and Syria. Those Palestinians have noted the hypocrisy of their so-called Arab brothers.
* In Muslim Egypt refugees trying to cross the border are shot.
* In Muslim Turkey refugees are immediately expelled and some, forced by Turkish authorities to swim across a river to leave Turkey, died in the process.
* Bangladesh, a Muslim country, is sending Rohingya Muslims back to Burma. Likewise, Indonesia is returning Rohingya boat men back to persecution in Burma.
* Muslim Malaysia has been cited for its abuse of refugees as well.
The countries welcoming refugees are the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, most European countries and a few in South America. What do they all have in common? They have a Judeo-Christian historical tradition — not an Islamic Sharia history.
Note: I have more links to add to this post but wordpress is misbehaving this morning and I’ll add them later.